Best 8 Substrates for Planted Aquarium in 2019 – Expert Reviews
The substrate that you choose for your planted aquarium not only improves the visual appeal of your tank but also provides safety to the plants and aquatic animals inside. You have to select the right quality of substrate to encourage plant growth and to keep the tank free from germs. Your aquarium will be healthy when you choose a healthy substrate.
Today, hobbyists have a lot of options before them when they set out to choose the right substrate for their aquariums. Different materials, colors, forms and sizes of substrates are available today. Gone are the days when sand and gravel were the only types of substrates used in aquariums.
In this article, we will tell you about the best substrates that you can consider for your planted aquarium and why they will help the overall health of the plants and animals inside. Before dwelling to the top models, we will give you a brief overview of the importance of choosing the right substrate, so that you are informed about the same.
Why is a substrate important for your aquarium?
If you are wondering why a substrate is very important in an aquarium, this is the section that you have to read. Substrates are used for four important reasons. They are:
Biological filtration purposes–Your aquarium plants need substrate as they are prone to witness a lot of plant debris, food leftovers and the waste of the fishes. These need to be eliminated to safeguard the overall hygiene of the aquarium. When you choose the right substrate, good bacteria grow and colonize on them. These colonies then naturally eliminate the waste products, thereby keeping the tank absolutely safe.
Creating natural habitat for the fishes – Substrates are available in different types to mimic the natural habitat of the different types of fishes. This will make the fishes feel comfortable when they are inside the tank, so that they are stress-free and healthy.
Encourage growth of plants–When you have a planted aquarium, it becomes imperative for you to invest in the right substrate. This is because the plants grow well on these substrates, thereby keeping your tank fresh and odor-free.
Decorative purposes – Last, but definitely not the least, a substrate is important to decorate your aquarium and make it look visually appealing to your eyes.
Choosing the right substrate
Choosing the right substrate for your planted aquarium is quite a challenge because of the sheer magnitude of products in the market today. This is why, we have compiled the best 8 substrates herewith, with a brief review of each one of them. After reading this article, you will have a clear idea about choosing the specific substrate that fits your requirements the best.
Best substrates for planted aquariums review that you should try
If you are looking for a substrate that not only decorates your aquarium but also provides nourishment to the plants, the Carib Sea Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate is the right choice for you. Since it is manufactured by CaribSea Inc., a name that has been a leader in the substrate mineralogy department for many decades now, this substrate is highly credible.
- Comes with an innovative formula for improving the root growth of the plants
- Rich in minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium etc. making it a natural nourishment provider
- 100% Natural as no chemicals or artificial colours are added
- Fish waste converted to natural food within no time, thanks to the good bacteria present in it
- Comes in the texture of spherical grains with a lot of pores for optimal dispersal
- Not very useful for species such as shrimps, due to the substrate’s potential to increase the pH levels in the water
The Carib Sea Eco Black Aquarium Substrate is quite popular among aquarists, because of its ease of use and nourishment to plants. Yes, there may be minor issues, but you can afford to ignore them.
Are you new to setting up a planted aquarium? Do you want your plants to grow well with the water remaining as clear as possible? If yes, you need to use the ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia Light, right away.
The black soil used in the substrate is made from a rare Japanese plant. This soil, with its natural earthy shade, not only makes the tank look beautiful, but also promotes root growth of almost all water plants in aquarium. You don’t have to worry about the pH levels in your water when you use this substrate.
The organic ingredients and nitrogen content in the substrate maintain the exact acidic consistency in the water, which is suitable for the plants and tropical fishes inside.
- Excellent visual appeal, thanks to its natural earth color
- Very easy to set up for beginners as well
- Visible improvement in the growth of plants; don’t be surprised when the roots, leaves and stems of your plant grow rapidly once you apply this substrate in the tank
- Compatible with a huge variety of aquatic plants except for those that need specific water conditions
- None at all
We don’t need to tell you why this substrate is the right choice for your water tank after reading those impeccable features, do we?
Though all substrates claim that they encourage plant growth, not all of them stay true to their claims. The Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum is a welcome change for you, though. It is made from the mineral-rich soil contents found in the vicinity of Mont Aso Volcano in Japan.
This aquarium substrate guarantees you the natural growth of aquatic plants, as it helps the roots of the plants to spread well into it and absorb the nutrients quite efficiently.
The nitrifying bacteria (good bacteria which eliminate the waste from your tank) colonize well in this substrate because of its texture. The pores found all over the substrate provide a good ground for the bacteria to grow on, thereby ensuring that the plants get enough water.
- Fluval substrate replete with a large number of macro and micronutrients
- Provides a compatible and safe environment for the plants and the shrimps
- Maintains a slightly acidic or neutral pH level in the water at all times, thereby maintain a comfortable ambiance for the inmates
- Prevents tanks from discoloration and keeps the tank water crystal clear
- Very safe and comfortable for new-born shrimps as well, unlike most other substrates
- Some users felt that the substrate was too light to anchor plants
If you plan to bring shrimps in your aquarium, we would definitely recommend this substrate for you. Period.
When you come across a substrate that has been created by a professional team, you have got to trust it with all your heart. We are talking about the Seachem Flourite Black Clay Gravel Substrate, a product of Seachem, a company that has been in the business for over 30 years now. The company is run by expert and passionate hobbyists; therefore, you can put your money in this blindly.
Though originally designed for the planted aquarium, this substrate can be used for freshwater tanks as well. The porous texture of this clay gravel has been specially designed by the company to improve the water texture inside your tank.
You can use this substrate with confidence because no chemicals, added colors or dyes are added to it. It can be used as a standalone part in your aquarium, since you don’t have to add laterite along with it. To provide more stability, you may consider mixing this substrate with other gravels.
- Doesn’t change the pH balance of the water, thereby making it safe for the fishes and plants inside
- Compatible to be used with any kind of gravel filter
- Very easy to set up and use
- Even when submerged, the substrate retains its royal, black hue, which makes your tank look absolutely beautiful
- Needs to be washed well before the first use, to remove dust that may have accumulated in it
- Needs to be washed several times before the first use, to prevent your tank from getting discoloured, according to few users.
The Seachem Flourite Black Clay Gravel is quite a popular choice among hobbyists. However, remember to clean the substrate thoroughly before using it for the first time.
Most of the sand-textured substrates require frequent rinses before applying in the aquarium, to eliminate the dust and residues already present in them. However, with the UP Aqua Sand Substrate, you can be free from this issue. You can use this directly in your tank without washing it, because the substrate doesn’t discolor the tank’s water at all.
One of the important reasons why you should buy this substrate is its potential to maintain the water pH balance at 6.5. This is the level required for the healthy growth of plants and the fishes inside.
- Looks like sand; therefore, most of the fussy fishes too are comfortable in this substrate
- Doesn’t leak ammonia; therefore, your tank water remains crystal clear
- Can be used directly in the aquarium without rinsing
- Regarded as one of the best substrates for live plants, by some hobbyists
- Problems related to damaged product experienced by few users who shopped online
We would definitely recommend the UP Aqua Sand for Aquatic Plants Substrate for anybody who wants a substrate that not only makes their fishes comfortable in the tank, but also encourage plant growth of the live plants.
The Mr. Aqua N-Mar-066 1L Fine Pet Habitat Water Plant Soil Substrate is a must-buy for you, if you give a lot of importance for the longevity of the substrate. This substrate, made from an excellent blend of organic and inactive components, is a good fertilizer for the plants growing inside the tank.
This soil-based substrate can last for up to 12 to 18 months, giving the plants enough stability and durability. If you are using driftwood in the tanks to provide an ambient atmosphere to the fishes, you will notice that your tank water gets stained easily. Using the Mr. Aqua soil substrate will help you clean these impurities and prevent water from further damage.
Thanks to this substrate, you don’t have to change water in the tank frequently. The granules in the substrate have lots of pores that enable the roots to penetrate into them quite easily. One of the best qualities of this black-colored substrate is that it not only helps in purifying water but also in improving the quality of water.
- Helps in softening the water and maintaining a pH balance of 6.6 to 6.8 to encourage optimum plant growth
- Provides an excellent medium for the roots of the plants to spread quickly and deeply, thanks to the porous structure
- Needs to be rinsed before using, though there aren’t specific instructions to do so
Though the Mr. Aqua Soil Substrate is a good product, we feel that there are better products at a lesser price than this, that you can consider. If you have a big tank, you have to buy more than a packet of this and it may cost you a lot annually.
If you are looking for a substrate that not only encourages plant growth but also makes your aquarium look colorful, the Natural Moonlight substrate from the well-known brand, Carib Sea, is the right choice for you. The gravel-like substance instantly impresses you with its striking white color.
This is a 100% natural substrate as no artificial dyes or chemical treatments have been added to it. As a result of this, it can be used in saltwater and freshwater aquariums as well. This white gravel is a part of the incredible Supernatural series of substrates from Carib Sea – a range that aims to get the best of the soil types from all places.
The white sand in this substrate exactly mimics the beach sands that are found in some parts of America; therefore, you will love the effect that it creates in your tank. Also, live plants grow well in this porous substrate, as it gives them a good grip and stability.
- Very easy to plant live plants
- High quality of sand with shine and stability, thereby providing a good grip for the plants
- No cleaning required and very easy to use
- Since the substrate is of very fine texture, you may have to think twice before using it in a tank that has a heavy water flow
The Moonlight Sand Substrate is considered to be the best substrate in the supernatural series launched by the Carib Sea brand. If the water flow in your tank is going to be gentle, this is one of the best substrates you can put your money in.
The pH levels in the water are perfect when the acidic and alkaline content is in the right ratios to make it comfortable for the plants and aquatic animals inside. Therefore, when you buy a substrate for a planted aquarium, you should be sure that it doesn’t alter the water’s pH level one bit. The Spectrastone Shallow Creek Regular Substrate is an example of a good substrate that is safe for your planted and freshwater tanks.
The gravel sizes of the substrate are neither too large nor too big. They come with a chemical-free coating as well. Hence, you can rest assured that this substrate won’t discolor or contaminate the tank water. The pebble-sized gravels make your aquarium look awesome.
Don’t be scared to buy this substrate when you have plants. This substrate contains stones & pebbles that form the perfect base for air plants. It is very clean. The natural colors of the substrate give an earthy feel to your tank.
- Doesn’t cause any imbalance to the pH levels of the water
- Provides excellent visual appeal
- Doesn’t make the water look cloudy at all
- Some people faced shipment issues when they shopped online
Though the Spectrastone Shallow Creek Substrate is definitely not our first choice for planted aquariums, we still see no reason why you shouldn’t try it out. It is affordable and easy to use as well. So, you could try it to see how it works on your tank.
Like we already told you, it is never going to be easy for you to choose the best substrate for your planted aquarium, thanks to the hundreds of options before you. We hope our review of the 8 top products in this article will give you an idea of what to buy. The idea behind this article is to clear your confusion as much as possible. We hope we have done justice to it.