14 Best Aquarium Hoods of All Sizes 2020
Aquarium hoods are more than just a decorative part of the tank and serve several different purposes. Anybody who has owned an aquarium will know that many fish species tend to jump out of the tank and end up on the floor surprisingly often. That in itself is a good reason to buy a hood to secure the top of the tank; however, the fish also need to be protected from curious pets or children and falling objects. A well-designed hood has the following features:
- Strong but lightweight build
- Wide feeding portal
- Mounting brackets for light bulbs inside with splash guard
- Openings for air hoses
- Good looks that complement most general aquarium set up
- Vents for heat and air
Hoods also act as regulators for evaporation and temperature inside the tank, without which the water level falls frequently, making the room humid and creating the need to top up the tank frequently.
Finally, several hood manufacturers offer their hoods with an inbuilt LED light that works well with most tanks; however, when you are growing different types of aquatic plants, you would need a hood that can offer to mount for extra lighting.
Before you get to choose a hood, it’s essential to know the most common sizes and dimensions of aquarium tanks.
1. Small Tanks
|Tank Size (gallons)||Dimensions Length x Width x Height (inches)|
|2.5-gallon||12″ x 6″ x 8″|
|5-gallon||16″ x 8″ x 10″|
|10-gallon (leader)||20″ x 10″ x 12″|
|10-gallon (long)||24″ x 8″ x 12″|
|15-gallon||24″ x 12″ x 12″|
|15-gallon (high)||20″ x 10″ x 18″|
2. Medium-Sized Tanks
|Tank Size (gallons)||Dimensions Length x Width x Height (inches)|
|20-gallon (high)||24″ x 12″ x 16″|
|20-gallon (long)||30″ x 12″ x 12″|
|25-gallon||24″ x 12″ x 20″|
|29-gallon||30″ x 12″ x 18″|
|30-gallon (breeder)||36″ x 18″ x 12″|
|40-gallon (breeder)||36″ x 18″ x 16″|
|40-gallon (long)||48″ x 12″ x 16″|
3. Large Tanks
|Tank Size||Dimensions Length x Width x Height (inches)|
|50-gallon||36″ x 18″ x 19″|
|55-gallon||48″ x 13″ x 21″|
|65-gallon||36″ x 18″ x 24″|
|75 gallon||48″ x 18″ x 21″|
|90-gallon||48″ x 18″ x 24″|
|125-gallon||72″ x 18″ x 21″|
|150-gallon||72″ x 18″ x 28″|
|180-gallon||72″ x 24″ x 25″|
Regardless of what size your aquarium may be, as long as the length and width are close to the common dimensions, you can find a hood that fits the tank.
Here are some of the top hoods for aquarium sizes from 10 gallons to 75 gallons
20-inch hoods for 10-gallon fish tank
1. All Glass Aquarium Economy 10 gallon aquarium Hood
The All-Glass Aquarium hood is a robust plastic hood that fits well on most 10 gallon tanks that are 20 inches long and 10 inches wide. This 10 gallon aquarium hood features two mounts for incandescent bulbs on either side and cuts outs at the back for filters. It also features a good-sized feeding door that is hinged.
The hood is made out of strong, durable plastic and has the most basic design. The bulbs need to be purchased separately and don’t come with the hood.
- Dimensions: 20.2 x 10 x 3.3 inches
- Weight: 1.9 pounds
- Made out of light and durable plastic
- Snug fit on all tanks with cuts outs for accessories
- Lexan Bulb splash shields to protect incandescent bulbs
- Bulbs need to be purchased separately
This one is a simple aquarium hood with a traditional design that is well worth the money. It fits well on my 12-gallon tank with has the same 20x10in dimensions as most 10 gallon tanks.
2. Aqueon Black 20 inch Aquarium Hood
This classic 20 inch aquarium hood from Aqueon features a simple design that sticks with the traditional looks and functionality. It has a custom fit on the inside that allows it to snugly sit on the rim of all tanks and offer a great complimentary look to the setup.
The hood is also designed to minimize evaporation and keep the tank at a steady temperature. Divided into three segments, the front opens up like a flap on steady hinges for feeding. The center segment has room for a single T8 fluorescent lamp and can be separated from the hood. The rear part features cut out for filters and air hoses.
- Dimensions: 20 x 8.6 x 3.4 inches
- Weight: 3.4 pounds
- Classic design with useful features
- Splashguard to keep the lamp safe
- Moisture weakens florescent lamp decreasing its life
It’s a great aquarium hood that does what it supposed to do with a simplistic design. The rear cutout accommodates both the filter and the heater with more room to spare, so I had to tape that up for safety.
3. Marineland Fluorescent Strip Light Reflector for Aquarium, 20-Inch
This florescent light strip from MarineLand fits on all 20 inch long aquariums and is a great replacement when you need to change lights strips on existing recessed full hoods. It comes with a T-8, 18-inch fluorescent bulb that gives off a mild daylight spectrum white light.
The bulbs can be replaced with standard 18-inch ones available in the market. The whole 10 gallon fish tank hood comes pre-assembled, and all that’s needed to be done is fit on the aquarium and plug it on.
- Dimensions: 20 x 6 x 3.5 inches
- Weight: 32 ounces
- All assembled out of the package
- Durable polystyrene construction
- Includes safety bracket to secure the light to the tank
- Florescent lamp susceptible to moisture degradation
I got it as a replacement for my Marineland full hood as the old one shorted out. This works well and gives off a nice bright light.
24 inch hood for 20-gallon fish tanks
1. Aqueon Aquarium Black 24″ Fluorescent Deluxe Full Hood
This 20 gallon fish tank hood by Aqueon is designed for a range of aquarium sizes that are 24 inches long. Made out of durable plastic, it snugly fits in the inside lip of the frame of major aquarium brands.
There is a central holder for a T8 lamp with a splash guard and a full-length feeding door on the front. Plastic break out sections in the back allows for the installation of filter and air hoses.
- Dimensions: 23.8 x 9.6 x 3.3 inches
- Weight: 1.98 pounds
- A versatile hood that fits tanks of different sizes
- Energy-efficient fluorescent bulb
- Durable material
- The light cord is a bit delicate
I bought this as a replacement for the LED hood I used all this time on my 28-gallon tank. It fits neatly over the rim and has just enough cut out spaces for the filter and no openings where my cats can reach in!
2. Aqueon Aquarium Hinged Glass Top 24 inches
Designed to fit on 20-gallon Aqueon tanks, this hinged glass top is an excellent hood for those looking for something minimalistic and yet stylish. The 24 inch aquarium hood fits well on the tanks and cuts down on evaporation loss and stops the fish from jumping out.
A back vinyl strip can be easily cut to fit any accessory while the front full-length feeding door flips open smoothly for quick access.
- Dimensions: 24.5 x 5.2 x 1.2 inches
- Weight: 2.66 pounds
- Simple design with a hinge
- Simple to install and use
- Customizable for aquarium equipment
- No lights included with the product
I used it as a replacement for an old hood I had had for the last five years. The design is simple enough for me to install my own LED lights. Highly recommend!
3.Tetra LED 20 gallon Aquarium Hood
This low-profile aquarium hood is perfect for those who like to keep things minimal and sleek. It features an energy-efficient LED light that gives the aquarium sand a shimmering effect adding to the beauty of the aquarium.
Made out of tough plastic, it can fit most rectangular aquariums of 24-inch length. The light cables run along the underside in one chord and clipped to the hood blending them into the plastic. There are cut-out slots for filters and air hoses and a simple feeder port.
- Dimensions: 24 x 12 x 2.5 inches
- Weight: 1 pound
- Simple and sleek design
- Inbuilt LED lights
- Cut out slots for accessories
- LED lights can degrade over time by moisture
This hood fits nicely on my Tetra open glass tank, and there is plenty of space for my filter. The chords are nice and barely visible, but I taped up the LED lights just in case the waterproofing might be inadequate.
30 inch hood for 29-gallon aquarium
1. All Glass Strip Light 30 Inch aquarium hood
This 30-inch fluorescent strip is designed primarily to be used with the Aqueon Versa Top hinged glass aquarium hood or a replacement strip for full hoods. The unit which comes fully assembled with a T8 fluorescent daylight bulb can be taken out of the packaging and snapped into place on the hood and switched on.
Dimensions: 30.2 x 5.6 x 3.1 inches
Weight: 2.5 pounds
- Simple to install and use
- Bulb comes on instantly, no flickering
- Bright light suitable for aquatic plants
- The fluorescent tube can degrade from moisture and condensation
This 30-inch strip light works beautifully well with my retrofitted old tank’s lid. Since the fluorescent tube is exposed to the tank’s moisture, they go bad quickly; however, it’s not a design flaw as they are meant to be used over glass hoods. I overcame the issue with a Plexi-glass panel that seals the tube in.
2. Aqueon Aquarium 30 inch Fluorescent Deluxe Full Hood
Aqueon’s deluxe full hoods are popular for their classic design and simple features that do the job of a great aquarium hood without any redundant additions.
This 30-inch cover is a perfect 29-gallon aquarium hood and features a convenient full-length front feeder that lets you feed along with access to the tank. There are cut out panels in the back for the filter and heaters while the colour of the hood matches with most aquarium decor.
- Dimensions: 30 x 9.7 x 3.4 inches
- Weight: 5.5 pounds
- Simple, classic design
- Lights with a splash guard
- Snug fit prevents excess evaporation
- Fluorescent tubes go bad frequently due to moisture and condensation
This fits perfectly on my Aqueon 20-gallon tank and has plenty of bright light. The full front flap is ideal for spreading out the fish feed rather than dropping it all through a tiny window.
36 inch hood for 30 gallon aquarium
1. Aqueon Deluxe 36 inch Aquarium Hood
Aqueon’s fluorescent 30 gallon fish tank hood features the same design as its classic build with its smaller versions. It fits perfectly on any tank that’s 36 inches long with standard dimensions to prevent excess evaporation.
A full-length feeding door makes it easier to dispense food for all the fish in the tank and accessing the inside completely. Cut out sections in the back allow for the installation of filters, heaters, and other equipment with ease.
- Dimensions: 35.8 x 9.5 x 3.4 inches
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Simple design and easy to use features
- Powerful fluorescent light with a splash guard
- Durable plastic material with sleek color
- Needs frequent bulb change
I was a bit apprehensive before purchasing this hood, but it fits my tank without a problem, and I have been using it for six months now. It is sturdy and strong, and the light is decent.
2. Aqueon Aquarium Fluorescent Strip Light, 36-Inch
The Aqueon 36 inch Fluorescent Strip Light is a primarily a replacement component for the 36-inch hoods and with Aqueon Glass tops. They work with the T8 fluorescent light tubes, which give a full-spectrum white light for aquatic plants.
The strips also feature a splash guard to protect the bulb, and the control circuitry allows for the addition of timer controlled switch.
- Dimensions: 36.8 x 5.4 x 2.9 inches
- Weight: 32 ounces
- Simple design and easy to use
- Instant-on without flickering
- Ample light intensity for freshwater plants
- Moisture is known to accumulate on the fluorescent bulb and shortening its life
I needed a 36” strip for my custom made tank hood, and this seemed like a great option. Although LEDs are the trend, I needed a softer light source, and this works perfectly. I did tweak a little and sealed the splash guard in place with hot glue to extend the bulb’s life.
48 inch hood for 55-gallon aquarium
1. Barrina 48 inches Aquarium Hood Lighting
The Barrina 48 inches Aquarium Hood Lighting gives a fun variation in lighting for those who are looking for something new. This remote controlled hood lighting offers 16 different colours which can be controlled in 4 modes.
While it can adjust the brightness and fade different colours, it can also flash or strobe to make it fun. The strip also comes with an adjustable bracket that allows it to fit on tanks from 45 to 51 inches in length.
- Dimensions: 54.5 x 5.1 x 2.8 inches
- Weight: 4.19 pounds
- Remote-controlled aquarium light with different colours and modes
- Low power consumption at 32W
- High quality LED lights with long life
- It is not waterproof and hence susceptible to moisture and splashes
This hood lighting is a hit in the parties! My 60-gallon tank with a great aquascaping really jives with the mood every time I throw a party. While it makes your aquarium look cool, it’s not useful in the plant growth, and I have a separate bulb for this. This one adds plenty of charm, though!
2. All Glass Aquarium Fluorescent Deluxe Hood, 48-Inch
All Glass Aquarium’s popular Fluorescent Deluxe Hood comes in the large category to fit tanks of 48 inches and still offers the same great features in a simple design. The 55 gallon aquarium hood maintains its classic looks and features divided full-length feeding lids in the front and cut outports in the back for filters and heaters. Its extra-long strip light accommodates a replaceable T8 fluorescent tube and gives plenty of light for all the plants in the tank.
- Dimensions: 48 x 12 x 4 inches
- Weight: 8.1 pounds
- Designed to fit tanks of most brands 48 inches long
- Durable plastic
- Secure seal to avoid evaporation
The gap in the middle can sometimes cause the lid to flip inward
I was pleasantly surprised by the hood’s performance, it is worth the price! It fits well on my 55-gallon tank, and the light is bright.
3. Perfecto Manufacturing R01929 Aquarium Glass Canopy
This glass canopy is an excellent alternative to aquarists looking for a change from conventional hoods. It features a resilient tempered glass front panel that is strong and can be opened for easy access into the tank and feeding.
The clear vinyl back strip is tough but easy to cut into any size desired to accommodate other tank equipment like filters, tubing, and heaters. The canopy is see-through and can take any external lighting.
- Dimensions: 48 x 11.5 x 1 inches
- Weight: 5.5 pounds
- Clear, very low profile canopy
- The customizable vinyl back panel
- Tough tempered glass
- No included lights with the unit
The canopy comes in 2 separate equal-sized pieces, which can be set up easily. I had to cut the vinyl back panel with a hack saw according to the outline of my filter, which went quite smoothly. Since I wasn’t comfortable with the handles stuck with double-sided tape, I used a bit of epoxy to secure them to the glass.
75-gallon aquarium hood
1. H2 Pro 2 Piece Set Glass Canopy Gallon Tank
Designed primarily for MarineLand, Perfecto, and Tetra Tank, this 2-piece hood has a perfect fit for 70/75/90/110 gallon tanks. Each piece measures 22.68 x 16.93 x 0.16 inches and is made out of tempered glass that’s durable and prevents evaporation. The canopy is hinged with small full-sized doors for feeding and access into the tank.
- Dimensions: 48 x 18 x 0.16 inches (total)
- Weight: 10 pounds (total)
- Low profile design for simple looks
- High quality tempered glass
- Vinyl plastic back strip that can be cut to custom shapes
- The hinges are a bit delicate
The glass on this canopy is thin enough to support its weight but not thick enough to be too heavy, and when handled well, it is quite durable. What I like the most is the hinge joint is about a third of the way from the front end and doesn’t block any light strip placed over the center.