Choosing a filter for a turtle tank or an aquarium is not an easy task. There are lots of questions that you should think about before deciding on a filtration system. These questions could be:
- What is the size of the tank?
- What kind of fishes, reptiles, and other animals are going to be in the tank
- What type of filter is needed – internal or external?
- Are the connection issues sorted out for connecting the filters to the tank?
In this article, we have helped you with these questions and more by reviewing the best available turtle filters in the market today. After reading this, you should know which kind of filter suits your tank requirements the best, so that you can make a qualified decision.
Best Filter for Turtle Tank that You Can Consider
1. AquaTop CF Series Turtle Canister Filter
If you are looking for a good canister filter for a turtle tank that provides extremely noiseless operation for your tank that can hold up to 175 gallons of water, the AquaTop CF Series Canister Filter is a great choice for you. It comes with a 9-Watt UV sterilizer, a feature that you won’t find in most of the other filters in this price range.
Thanks to this sterilizer, you can be sure that your tank will be free of all kinds of germs, parasites, bacteria, and algae. Therefore, the plants and fishes will get a comfortable environment to live in. Though this turtle tank filter is made from plastic parts, you can be sure of its quality.
If you have already used canister filters before, you will not find any problems when installing this one from AquaTop. However, for those who are new to these filters, it may take some time to install and start using this. The filter operates at a power of 525GPH (gallons per hour), which ensures that it makes the environment inside the tank safe and compatible with the fishes and plants.
- Doesn’t make noise when in use
- Comes with a 4 +1 Filtration System, due to which your tank is cleaned thoroughly of all debris, bacteria, and algae spores
- Very durable; works for many years without any issue
- Instruction manual not very clear; therefore, quite difficult to install
We would recommend this canister filter for you if your tank is prone to a lot of algae and bacteria-related problems.
2. Marineland Multi-Stage Canister Filter for Aquariums
Marineland is one of the reputed names in the canister filter for the aquariums industry. It has come with various ranges of C-series of filters based on the size of your tank. These series are classified as follows:
- C160 – For tank capacity up to 30 gallons
- C220 – For tank capacity up to 55 gallons
- C360 – For tank capacity up to 100 gallons
- C530 – For tank capacity up to 150 gallons
The numbers that are followed by the letter C denote the gallons per hour capacity of the filters. Thanks to these C-series of canister filters, you have several options before you choose.
This turtle filter comes with a 3- stage filtration process, thanks to which the filter passes through biological, chemical, and mechanical filters to remove toxic substances. The well-concealed BIO filter balls give you clean water at all times.
- Comes with replaceable media slots to remove mechanical & chemical dirt and other toxic impurities from the water
- Compatible even with high-mess creating fishes such as Cichlids, Oscars, etc.
- Water to media contact guaranteed at all times to keep your tank healthy
- Absorbs a lot of air, which creates a lot of bubbles in the tank
- Makes a lot of noise
While MarineLand is a trusted company, we wouldn’t recommend this to you as our first choice. There are better filters in the market than the C-series at a lesser price and lower noise.
3. Sunsun Pro Canister Filter for Turtle Tank – 100 gallon Turtle Tank
If you are looking for a high-quality water filtration kit that takes care of the complete filtration of your tank in an elaborate 4-stage process, the Sunsun Canister Filter Kit is the right choice for you. With its high power, this filter is compatible to be used for tanks that can hold up to 150 gallons.
This filter comes with media trays that can hold activated carbon, bio-balls, or ceramic rings to bring about complete mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration in your tank. The priming button of this filter is a feature that you cannot ignore. Thanks to this button, you can fill the water automatically and start the filter to get it functioning.
A major highlight of the SunSun Filter is the 9-Watt UV light sterilizer that captures algae and other toxic substances that clear the initial filtration stages, thereby helping you get rid of the smallest bacteria and algae spores. You will get a series of media filters with this kit such as 1lb of activated filter carbon, 1lb ceramic rings, and 1 bio-balls set.
- Gives you crystal clear water at all times, thanks to the 4-stage filtering process
- Eliminates the time and effort that you would have otherwise spent on manual siphoning of water, thanks to the self-priming pump
- The kit consists of 4 types of media baskets, 1 coarse pad, 4 filter pads, and a 9-W UV sterilizer
- UV sterilizer, when switched on for long hours, can burn the media trays, as reported by few users
- Not recommended for beginners
Since it comes with a 4-stage filtration process and promises to clear all algae spores and bacteria, the Sunsun HW304B, deserves a chance, according to us.
4. Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter
If you have a large turtle tank, you can blindly invest in the Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter. The Cascade Black 1500 Elite series is a heavy-duty filter that is suitable for tanks that can hold up to 200 gallons of water. The Penn Plax is one of the most trusted brands in this industry, as it has been in business for many decades now.
The high-quality, 3-stage filtration filter from Penn Plax can be used for saltwater and freshwater aquariums with ease. An interesting feature of this filter is the technologically sophisticated flow valves (two numbers) that can rotate 360 degrees, to control the flow pattern of the water.
With the push-button primer, you can prime the filter and get it started in a very quick time. The media baskets are large enough to accommodate the type of media that you want to try.
- Very easy to install as it comes with a spray bar, tubes, spouts, and media baskets of bio floss, ceramic rings, activated carbon & algae magnet, along with a detailed instruction manual
- Offers multi-stage filtration, thanks to the stack pattern of the media trays
- Bypass design could have been avoided, that is, the water flow from the sides of the filter should have been controlled
If you have a big tank ( up to 200-gallon capacity), this filter from Penn Plax is definitely the right choice for you. For smaller tanks, we would ask you to look at other models, though.
5. Hydor Professional External Canister Filter – 40-gallon turtle tank filter
Hydor is one of the new entrants in the canister filter industry; however, it has struck the right chords with its excellent products. Its professional external canister filter is a user-friendly model that comes in many sizes. You can get this filter for a tank that can hold as little as 40 gallons to as much as 150 gallons.
The filter that works for a 60-1o0 gallon tank operates at a power of 280GPH and aims at making the marine life inside the tank as comfortable as possible. The biological, chemical, and mechanical filtrations that take place in the filter ensure that the tank water is crystal clear at all times.
The four rubber feet below the filter give it much-needed stability, while the easy priming option helps you to get the system ready within minutes. This filter doesn’t emit any noise when it is in use.
- Compatible for various sizes of saltwater and freshwater tanks
- Comes with a detailed instruction manual, which helps you to get the system installed in less than an hour
- Made from highly durable plastic, which adds to the longevity of the filter
- Replacement parts are not available
We are quite impressed with this filter, which is nothing but an ecosystem in a box. It provides excellent filtration for all sizes of tanks and is priced quite reasonable when compared to other models. Give it a try, and you won’t regret your decision.
6. Eheim Classic External Canister Filter – 75-gallon turtle tank filter
Are you looking for a great filter for goldfish tanks? Do you want a simple yet durable, high-performance filter that will protect the quality of water in the aquarium for a long time? If yes, the only brand that you should invest in is the Eheim Classic External Canister Filter. Eheim is one of the most trusted brands in this segment and it has managed to satisfy many aquarists all over the world with this model.
You will get this filter to cater to three turtle tank sizes – 40, 66, and 92 gallons. The filter sponges and filter media baskets enable you to use the media that you want. You will get the Mechanical and Substrat Pro media with these valves. This filter comes with a sturdy build with stainless steel clips that hold the motor finely in place.
- The pump head comes with a long-lasting silicone sealing ring that keeps it safe after a cleaning session
- Very simple but effective design
- Enables various levels of filtrations including biological, chemical, mechanical, and absorptive
- Energy-efficient design
- Priming doesn’t work at times
- Quite time-consuming to set up, maintain and clean the filter regularly
If you don’t mind the extra effort that you need to put in for cleaning the filter pads often, the Eheim Classic Canister Filter is a good deal for you.
7. Tetra Decorative Reptile Filter – Best turtle tank filter for an aquarium on a budget
The Tetra Decorative Reptile Filter can instantly transform the look of your aquarium. This 55-gallon turtle tank filter not only purifies the water inside the tank but also decorates your tank so that it is safe for the reptiles that are housed inside.
It comes with an instant waterfall feature that blends well with the existing ambiance of your tank to give a strikingly beautiful appearance. You can use this filter in frogs, turtles, or newts tanks, provided the tank can hold up to 55 gallons of water.
The three-stage whisper filtration process ensures noiseless operation and complete odor removal from the tank at all times. You can use the easily available bio-bags to keep the water pure. One of the best features of this product is that it comes with a locking cover so that the reptiles are kept safe.
- Comes with large water intake holes; therefore, problems related to clogging are absent
- Very easy to install and use
- Serves the dual purpose of improving the tank’s visual appeal and purifying the water
- The locking cover or the dual function lid not only keeps reptiles away from the filtration area but also provides them with a good basking area
- Though it claims that it is suitable for a 55-gallon tank, the pump is not strong or big enough for a 20-gallon tank, as reported by some users
While we do like the decoration and 3-stage whisper filtration process that the Tetra 25905 offers, we wouldn’t recommend it for you, if you are tank is any bigger than 20 gallons.
8. Fluval Underwater Filter for Turtle Tank
The underwater filter for turtle tanks from one of the most reputed names in the pet supplies industry, Fluval, is a perfect blend of simplicity and high performance. The noiseless underwater filter offers thorough biological filtration to keep the water pure from dirt at all times. It can be used alone or as a supplement to any other main filter.
You can use this filter in freshwater tanks, reptile tanks, and more. The 3-stage filtration process involves the foam filtering out the big particles, carbon cartridge filtering smooth debris, and BioMax providing complete biological filtration.
- Very easy to install, use and maintain
- Simple, but high-performance, noiseless operation, with a lot of credibilities
- Considered as one of the best for turtle tanks
- Comes in various sizes ranging from 15 to 65 gallons, giving you a lot of flexibility
- Comes with an impressive list of accessories such as a 3-way flow control system, 2 foam pads (Stage 1), 2 carbon cartridges (Stage 2) and 90gm Biomax (Stage 3)
- The underwater filter can take up a lot of space in the tank
We would recommend the Fluval Underwater Filter for you only if you don’t have an option to set up external filtration in your area.
9. Tetra Whisper EX Silent Multi-Stage Power Filter
The Tetra Whisper EX Silent Multi-Stage Power Filter is one of the most intuitive filters you will find in the market today. It is replete with technological innovations to make it very user-friendly. Regardless of your experience with handling turtle aquarium filters, you will find absolute comfort while using the Tetra Whisper EX filter.
A new feature is the Timestrip technology used by the filter. This filter comes with times trips that change from white to red, when the button is switched on, alerting you to change the carbon cartridge. You can use this filter on tanks that can hold up to 70 gallons of water.
- Possible to use the filter right after you take it out as it doesn’t require priming
- Multi-stage filtration guaranteed
- Water flow in the filter is technologically engineered; therefore, no build-up of bacteria or debris
- Makes a lot of noise, though it claims to be a silent filter
- The water intake tube broke off within a few times of usage, as reported by few users
We wouldn’t recommend the Tetra Whisper EX Silent Filter for you, because there are better filters than this, which keep your water pure and safe.
10. Ovation 1000 Submersible Power Jet Filter
The Ovation 1000 Submersible Power Jet Filter is an affordable yet high-performance aquarium filter. It can cater to tanks that can hold a maximum of 80 gallons of water. It operates at a power of 265GPH and offers a dual-stage filtration process, which involves mechanical and biological filtering.
Carbon filters that are used here are quite powerful and can keep the water clear and safe for a long time. This filter doesn’t emit a lot of noise when it is in use, which means your fishes aren’t disturbed one bit. You get an optional spray bar with this filter for a more powerful performance than its original self.
- Compatible with tanks that house a lot of fishes as well
- Carbon filters needn’t be replaced every month as they keep the water clean for at least 4 to 6 months
- Water is not clear as one expects, as reported by few users
Yes, the Ovation 1000 Submersible Filter may not make the water in your tank as crystal clear as you want, but it is a simple and affordable filter that is worth giving a try.
11. Pond Boss Filter Kit with Pump
Pond Boss is a company that deals with making energy-efficient and innovative water cleaning solutions for gardens, waterfalls, fountains, turtle tanks, and the like. With their Aquarium Filter Kit, they have established their name further, in this field.
The Pont Boss Filter Kit with Pump is a must-buy for you if you care for the environment. It is an eco-friendly kit that not only excels in noiseless operation but also consumes lesser energy than most of its counterparts.
The diverter valve that comes along with the kit can be adjusted to the height of the fountain sprays when used in a fish pond. The best part of this filter is that the fishes are quite comfortable moving around in the heavy flow of water that comes from the diverter valve.
- Good value for money
- Very simple to set up, use and maintain
- All parts for setting up are provided in one box, saving you a lot of time and money
- Provides excellent visual appeal to the fish pond
- The pump and filter are not as stable as you would like them to be
This is a filter that works wonders in fish ponds. They may not give the same results in a tank. Therefore, if you are looking for a filter for your pond, we would definitely recommend this for you.
As you can see from the above, there are lots of external and internal filters available for turtle tanks in the market today. Always ensure that you know your requirements well so that you can choose one from the best 11 that we have reviewed here.